A leaking pipe can happen at any time for a number of different reasons. When it does, homeowners are confident they will notice, but that is not always the case. In many situations, leaks are small and go unnoticed, but end up causing big damage because of this. If you are concerned that you have a leak somewhere, there are a few signs you can look for.
- Wet Spots – Have you noticed wet spots on your floor, ceiling, or walls? It could be that you have a leaking roof or other issue, but more likely, it is a pipe that is leaking. Even if you don’t notice wet spots, if you see water damage, this can be the cause.
- Higher Water Bills – This is the most obvious sign of a leak aside from outright seeing it. Unless your family has gotten really into taking extra showers every day, a higher water bill is caused by a leak somewhere.
- Water Meter Running – If no water is being used in your home, your water meter should not be running. If the reading changes after an hour or two of no water usage, you have a leak somewhere in your home.
- Mildew Growth – If your bathroom gets very steamy during showers, you can expect some mildew growth there if left to its own devices. However, you should not expect mildew to grow anywhere else. Mildew requires moisture and it can be a sign of a hidden leaking pipe.
- Cracked Foundation – One of the most troublesome leaking pipe issues is when they happen in your foundation. The released water adds extra stress to the concrete and can cause it to crack. Typically, these cracks will also release water as well.
If you have noticed any of these signs, your leaking pipes need to be located and fixed quickly to prevent further damage. If you notice signs of leaking, but can’t find the pipe or don’t know how to best fix it, contact us today to see how The Plumber Guy can help.